Wednesday, May 02, 2007

same shit different day - Updated

I still have 4 follicles. The big one is 25 mm. The others are 15, 16 and 17. If the smaller ones don't grow, I will be canceled. My question is, if there is no retrieval, does it count as one of the three we are approved for?

I haven't heard from the RE yet. Don't know what's going to happen. I imagine I'll have to go in tomorrow. This isn't going well.

They called. Everything went as I expected. I go in again tomorrow. Because of the big one, they're ready to trigger. I requested a phone call with the RE to talk about ignoring the large one and waiting for the small ones, or the possibility of canceling. We think that even if we're canceled, it counts as a try. I'm hopeful that maybe we can pay for meds out of pocket and delay the retrieval and other stuff for our next try (if we have one). That is being checked out for us.

It's not worth doing a retrieval for one egg. I'm not even sure it's worth it for 4. I really think we should just have sex and try that way. It seems just as likely to work and it's much less invasive. I mean, I know we can get pregnant. We may have another miscarriage, but is it any worse than all of this? I don't think so.

So, I'll talk all this over with the RE. He's on the side of PGD, I'm afraid, so I doubt I'll get any validation. And T just wants a list of facts and odds and chances so that we can make a logical decision. Poor guy. That's just not available.

I am just so sick of all of this. I want it to end.


squarepeg said...

I recently found your blog - so, hello - I'm very sorry that things are sucking so much this cycle.

I hope things turn around.

serenity said...

Well, shit, Rachel. This is no good.

I am so SO sorry.

And I'm not sure that this counts as a try - the most expensive part of IVF is the retrieval - and then the culture and the transfer. All you're out is medication, really - and if you can pay OOP for that it's better than having to do the whole shebang.

BTW, from what Mary Ellen at Our IVF Journey told me - you CAN get more than 3 tries, especially if you need PGD. You just have to fight for it. Head over to her blog (there's a link from mine) and shoot her an email - she's in Mass just like we are.

*HUGS* I am so sorry that this cycle isn't turning out the way you wanted it to. How frustrating.

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Oh crap Rachel I am so so sorry. You must be so frustrated. I am not sure if it counts as a cycle if you don't have a retrieval. I am thinking of you. Sending you a huge hug.

Anonymous said...

It is so frustrating when you body doesn't cooperate to and make lots of eggs. I have had a cycle cancelled for poor response, so I can understand your frustration.

I hope you can come up with the best possible solution.

Sarah said...

i'm so sorry rachel, that really sucks. and it doesn't help that it's practically impossible to make logical decisions based on sound facts as our boys would like. i wonder if converting to IUI would also be an option?