Saturday, May 05, 2007

retrieval

We had to be at the clinic by 9. We left the house about 20 past 8 so T could get some coffee. We got there, checked in and registered. As we were waiting to be called in, we hear the person at the registration desk say things like, 'Are they going to come blaring in with sirens and everything?' and 'They're going to have to evacuate? Even the OR?' After hearing that, T lets out an audible, "F*ck!" and everyone turns around to look at him.

He asks what's going on. There was some smoke in the ventilation system. The fire engines came with the lights flashing, though no sirens. The folks in the waiting room were all looking around. T and I (well, mostly I) apologized. We knew this was our fault. Bad luck follows us around.

They called me in back and had me change and everything. The all clear came in about half an hour. The retrieval was delayed, but it was okay. There was something wrong with one of the a/c units or something.

So, as I'm waiting to go in, there is no sign of T. I ask the nurse to find him and he comes in in a huff. "They forgot me!" he says about his sample. It was taking so long before they called him, and others who came in after were being called before him, so he went to check in. His name was circled, and the men that came after him were already crossed off. They looked at his name on the list. T has a unique name that is not at all common. They looked straight at him and called out two very common names that are not at all like his actual name. He just got up and said, 'Are you calling me?' Apparently he got pretty frustrated with them. But in the end, he was able to do his thing and sit with me until I had to go in.

They got 4 eggs. Honestly, it's more than I expected, but still not quite enough for what we need. But whatever. It's amazing how much less stress I feel based on the fact that I am assuming it won't work. I was actually pleasantly surprised with 4 eggs at this point. I was expecting 2 again. So, 4 it is. We will see how many fertilize.

Then T drives me home. Last egg retrieval I didn't feel nausea at all, but in the car ride I was not feeling good. I put the cold air directly on me and managed to feel a lot better. We stopped somewhere to get me some soup and T some lunch, and I waited in the car. Nausea came over me. My mouth started watering. Uh oh. I'm in the car, T is away, the keys and our iPod are in there, there is no where to go, it is a busy, city street. I grabbed my purse, the keys out of the ignition, the iPod and my purse and just walked around. It was coming. There was a yard next to a building right in front of me. I saw some grass. The yard was fenced in, and it was sort of in a corner. I was in the process of throwing up, so I leaned over the fence and puked in the corner of these people's yard. I have no idea if anyone saw. I was horrified. But boy, did that make a big difference. I felt much better. Well, except for the fact that I puked in some person's yard. But that's what happened. I didn't know what else to do. I'm not horrible, am I? You couldn't really see it. It will just fertilize the lawn, right? It's better than puking in the street, right? I was at a loss. It was awful.

T finally came back and we went home. I have been continuously improving since then. I did manage to eat some soup and bread, and I'm really feeling fine at this point. My cramps aren't bad at all, either. I just can't believe all of this happened. What is it with us, anyway?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad it is over and you are home in one piece! I have puked out of the car on to the road a few times. It wasn't a good position and hit my shoes. I think your choice was much better.

I will cross my fingers for a good fertilization report.

Sara said...

I'm so sorry about the nausea and puking. I definitely think you did the right thing picking grass rather than pavement. It'll be gone in a few days.

Good luck with fertilization! Hopefully they aren't just four eggs, but four super-eggs.

Leah said...

I am so sorry that you have had so many things go wrong. I don't think the universe is against you - I think that good luck is about to hit!
The puking thing must have been so horrible. You did the right thing, yard is way better than street... what else could you have done?
I hope those 4 little eggs are all golden!

Sarah said...

wow, you certainly got some stories out of this one! and yes, i think you should think of it as excellent fertilizer.

low expectations are such a blessing, aren't they? that's the only thing that got me through.