Monday, May 07, 2007

fat

My fat pants are too tight.

I've never been one to obsess over weight too much. I've always been bit overweight. But I would exercise a little and eat sweets and good stuff and it balanced out in its own particular way. I would exercise more and my pants would get looser. I was never what you would call thin, but I was me. And it was fine.

Then I got pregnant. Being pregnant makes you hungry. Being hungry makes you eat. I ate everything. Then I lost the pregnancy, but I didn't lose the couple of pounds I gained.

Then I got pregnant again. It was a longer pregnancy, so I was even hungrier. I bought pants that I could grow into. I gained weight. Then I lost that pregnancy, but not the weight.

Then we were diagnosed with T's balanced translocation. We knew we would have big problems. It was difficult to deal with. When I'm stressed and sad, I comfort myself with eating good food. The weight remained.

Then we went a few months without conceiving. Then we got pregnant and lost another pregnancy. I drank. I ate. I gained a couple more pounds.

Now I've had a failed IVF and have been labeled a poor responder. I turn 35 on Saturday. It's the day before Mother's Day. I eat to comfort myself. I don't exercise enough because I'm too sad to force myself to go. I exercise a little bit, but I eat more. Eating calms me. It's enjoyable. It makes me feel good. But it makes my pants too small.

I think it's too much to force myself to try to eat well while I'm going through all this stress, but most of my clothes are too tight and it makes me feel like crap. Should I go to a hypnotist or something? Gaining this much weight makes me even more depressed. I've gained almost 20 lbs since my first pregnancy.

Ah, infertility, you really know how to beat a girl down.

7 comments:

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Infertility does beat you down doesn't it? I wish I had something inspirational to say...I am thinking of you girl.

Knock Me Up said...

I hear ya girl. IF is hell on your waistline not to mention our emotional well-being. My fat pants don't fit me anymore either -- thanks for nothin' gon.al f

Samantha said...

IF sucks all the way around. I wish you lots of good luck for the transfer later this week!

Mony said...

Buy bigger pants honey.
You can deal with the weight issues soon. For now, I would comfort myself in anyway needed.

Anonymous said...

Hello dear soul,

i found your blog when randomly surfing last night and felt such a need to empathise with your feelings on food. i have not got a clue about IVF, infertility, babies, or all of the pain you have come through, you strong woman, but i have had the sadness and pain of depression in my life. i have reached for food and eaten my feelings away. spent my time thinking of the next thing i could eat that would fulfill me. hating myself for looking like a slob, for being fat, for not exercising. carrying guilt for losing my figure and eating more to console myself. people use the term vicious circle very loosely, but its is - and in ways it feels welcome. i felt better being depressed about my weight than being depressed about everything else. i want you to know that someone understands it too - and that you can face it. i weathered the storm and im pulling through. once you never stop trying to be happy, happiness will find a way into your life. you sound so strong, and you try again and again - i hope you can take comfort in your strength and resolve, and the love of those close in your life. you can and you will make it through this.

heartfelt good wishes,
girl

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel -- eating because you're happily hungry due to pregnancies, then eating because you're sad due to miscarriages. I also swell up like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon on these drugs which certainly doesn't help. My advice is this: elastic wastebands.

Becks said...

Thanks for your comment- it was so nice of you.

I do hope that all goes well for the transfer...good luck.