Sunday, July 29, 2007

T had a dream

When I woke up this morning, T told me he had a dream that we had a baby. It was a DI baby, and he said he loved it. He said he was holding it and looked at it and he knew that it wasn't related to him biologically, but he loved it.

We must be slowly healing.

I took my bbt this morning (sorta) and we're going to do the dIUI in a couple of weeks. I purchased OPKs, which I have never used, but I am charting as well since that worked for me before. It's so hard to remember to take my temp before rolling over (hence the sorta). I was so good at it for a while, but I have to get back in the swing. It is almost a year since we have tried a natural cycle on our own. Well, except for pregnancy #3 where I apparently didn't chart and we managed to get pg anyway. We snuck that one try in there. Or, if I did chart I have no idea where it went. I have all of my other charts shoved in my night table. I scrutinize them sometimes.

As far as the IUI and the expense goes, I am not having any monitoring. It's just that expensive because that's what the RE's office charges for an IUI. Our sperm is expensive because that's what the bank charges. We are getting prewashed IUI sperm (which is more expensive) and we are using an open donor (which is more expensive) so we are buying the most expensive sperm they offer at our bank. We do have an appointment with a midwife on Thursday who will do the IUI for $300 cheaper than the RE's office. We will go there if we do not get insurance coverage. But, all of our charts and experience and everything are at the RE's office, so if we don't have to pay for the procedure, we figure we'll just stay at the RE's office. It seemed simpler.

We actually tried to go to a different clinic, but when I said that I had done IVF before, they freaked and told me to stick with the RE. Even though I tried to explain that it was my husband's issue, they saw those three letters and didn't want anything to do with us. That's why we thought it was simpler to stay with the RE. It wasn't until later that we got the name of this midwife clinic. So we will go there Thursday and see what happens. I feel like it's kind of last minute to switch, but I guess I can do it if I need to. This is all a part of how nervous I'm feeling.

But we both seem to be in a better place right now, which I really appreciate.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are both healing. This is a painful process to go through.

I hope you get your insurance coverage approved.

Sarah said...

wow, for all that's invested in this i would have thought they would monitor you. but it sounds like you'll do a fine job of monitoring yourself--hey we are experts, right?

Happy said...

It sounds like you guys are feeling better about the decision that you have made.

I really hope that our clinic monitors me a little more than what you are describing. I don't have a clue about my fertility since we learned about my husbands fertility I have never kept track w/any regularity.

megan said...

i'm so glad to hear that you're both in a better place.
good luck with the midwife....cost aside, the midwife could provide a better experience for you both in the sense that it might feel less medicalized. just a thought. i hope that it all works out in the best way possible for you.

ultimatejourney said...

One bit of assvice -- I found it challenging sometimes to figure out whether the 2nd OPK line was dark enough for it to be considered positive. When you're getting close, it can be tough to squint at the lines and wonder. I haven't used them, but I hear the digital OPKs remove all ambiguity. You might consider having them on hand, in case you get into a 'questionable' OPK situation and need a 2nd 'opinion.'

Leah said...

Glad to hear the fog is lifting. I'll still be thinking about you and will have my fingers crossed.

Sara said...

You guys have both done a pretty amazing job accepting your decision. Mourning is part of the process, and is natural, but I'm so glad to hear that you are also getting excited.

Great news about the midwife. I'm glad to hear that there's a relatively inexpensive option out there.

Best of luck with the "sex"! I'm hoping to hear good news soon!

JJ said...

Hey there...Ive been a lurker, but just wanted to officially say hello and I read your blog=) I would love to chat more with you via email if you wouldnt mind--we just got a negative on our first ivf--we have mf, and we are entering an unsure time about going forward--pgd and all that crap. I have lots of questions=) My email is reprojeans@gmail.com
Thanks so much....