Monday, July 16, 2007

Paperwork Hell

We're hoping that insurance covers our procedure. It definitely doesn't cover the cost of sperm, which isn't cheap. It's about $500/vial. Of course, the paperwork somehow got messed up. When I called the RE's office to check on when we would hear back about the coverage, they figured out that the insurance company was missing some paperwork and they had to resend it. Our insurance carrier doesn't like you to go 'backwards' from IVF to IUI, but I don't understand how they wouldn't do that with different sperm. I mean, it would be stupid to do IVF with this new sperm right from the get-go. Of course, we have no MF diagnosis, so it's really unclear whether we'll be covered at all. I really hope that we are, but we may not be. It will take 6 dIUIs to match the cost of one IVF out of pocket, so I'm thankful for the coverage we had. But I hope we can get covered. It will be nice to save some money, but I think I also feel so strongly about it because of this whole 'infertile' designation. We live in a mandated state, so with a diagnosis of infertility (for a specific not age-related reason) you are covered for infertility treatment. Because we can conceive and we could possibly have a baby on our own, we are not technically considered infertile (sort of). We did get the IVF coverage, so that was a good start. But now I fear not being covered and being labeled fertile. That will piss me off.

So that brings me to my next topic. I think I have mostly moved on from the sadness and on to the anger. I am pissed. I am pissed that this is happening and about what we have had to endure and that I have to pay money to do something that people just do for free. I know that was true with the IVF too, but somehow this IUI feels different. I think it's because I think I could get pg from home on my own since T and I got pregnant on our own so many times. But T is totally against home insemination, and that is something I am completely willing to compromise on, so we're not doing it. But anyway, I'm just pissed about this whole thing. We got screwed.

So, trying to figure out what pieces of paper I need and don't need is getting confusing. We have to figure out how many vials to buy and how many to ship (don't forget the $175 shipping fee) and whether to store it at the bank or at the IVF place ($600/yr storage charge) so that we have enough to have a second kid with. The bank will store for free for two years once we have a baby, so we don't want to ship it to the IVF place to store for a year because there is no way to ship it back. And it all depends on how many vials are available. It looks like there are vials for our donor, but I don't know how many. Haven't checked yet. Still waiting for insurance info.

Dizzy yet?

8 comments:

Nearlydawn said...

I'm confused... If hubby has a translocation issue doesn't that count as an MF diagnosis? Don't mean to sound dumb, I'm sure that there is some completely good reason for it that you have covered in a previous post. I just had to ask because I care about you and want to understand your situation better. :)

I'm totally rooting for new DI guy... Hoping getting the samples ends up being easy once all the decisions are made.

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

What a total pain in the ass!! No wonder why you are so angry. Insurance policies suck, they really do...

I am free this week if you want to meet for lunch and vent...

megan said...

isn't the BT considered a MF diagnosis? outrageous. i'm sorry you have to deal with the inherent evil that is insurance companies on top of everything else. the one industry that people need during some of the most emotional times of their lives is one of the most brutal. you guys did get screwed. it's all so unfair. i hope peace comes your way soon.

Drowned Girl said...

Going through paperwork hell myself at the moment about to ship our de embryos out of storagefor our FET. So I sympathise!
Glad you have found a donor who feels right to you.

Anonymous said...

You would think that they would cover an IUI since it is so much cheaper than IVF.

I just wish we had insurance coverage. You are lucky that you do.

I hope you get all of the paperwork sorted out soon. Dealing with insurance companies sucks!

ultimatejourney said...

I think we deserve advanced Management degrees just for keeping all the IF balls in the air, especially the DI ones.

Natalie said...

That sounds like such a headache! If you aren't covered I will be so furious for you. And as if you need MORE to worry about on top of all the emotional stress of using donor sperm, but to deal with messed up paperwork... gah.

Anonymous said...

we did 12 iui's with donor sperm. We have no infertility coverage but they did cover IUI's. They didn't cover the donor specimen though. Your bank sounds really expensive compared to what we paid ($200 vial, $60 shipping....and it cam half way across the country).

We are finally pregnant with twins but only after our 2nd IVF with ICSI.

Wishing you the best of luck!!!