Sunday, May 14, 2006

It's Sunday. It's Mother's Day. It's raining.

Technically, I'm watching my stats video right now. The snotty prof is talking about clinical trials. I feel like I'm pretty well versed in clinical trials since I work in them. I am the coordinator for three main trials, one FDA sponsored and one Industry sponsored, and I have worked on others and am also working on writing one (with no sponsor) at the moment. Actually, the thing I am writing is not a clinical trial, it's simply a study. It's more like a survey type thing. A prospective study. Anyway, I am certified in Human Studies Research, and I go to monthly meetings about clinical trials. So, I'm probably not going to learn too, too much in this class. So I'm typing instead. I'm so bad. (But in a good way.)

It's raining. I mean, it's really raining. Really, really raining. Like inches of rain really raining. It hasn't stopped. Our roof is leaking and our basement is wet. We didn't go outside yesterday. We're supposed to go see a movie with E&R today, but I'm not sure I'm going to want to leave. It's that rainy. Standing pools of water rainy. Flood warning rainy.

We haven't gone food shopping for a couple of weeks. We don't have much food in the house. And we have no vegetables. We were supposed to go to the store yesterday, but it was too rainy. We watched TV instead. We watched tons of TV. Hours of TV. I got a headache from all the TV. We didn't do anything practical. Though, I made some yummy spaghetti sauce. It was something I could make with the little bit of food we had in the house. We figured we could make up stuff to eat for a few days. We just don't have any vegetables. Well, I think we have some frozen peas in the freezer. I doubt we'll make it to the store today. We'll see how the day goes. It's not looking good. The Red Sox game was postponed last night, and I'm confident it will be postponed again. Not a fun weekend in the Boston Area.

Happily, my parents are in Las Vegas and I don't have to meet my family today. Usually I love to go spend time with my family, but I'm very happy to let this day slide.

So, I've got to talk about dinner on Friday. First of all, we had the most delicious wine ever. It was an Alsacian Riesling. As good as the dinner was, it was the true highlight for me. So, to start we had soft shell crab tempurah, which was particularly yummy, and then we had a fried mushroom ragout which was weird. It had a poached egg, edible flowers, mushrooms and cockscomb. Yes, that is what you think it is. The comb of a rooster. We ate it. It was weird. It was kind of the same texture as a mushroom. We decided to push our limits and eat it. It was okay. The texture of that whole dish was kind of weird. Not our favorite, but we were glad we tried. For the meal, T had a t-bone pork chop with baby turnips and mixed greens. We had asparagus on the side (which was SOOOOO good) and I had a seafood thing with clams, shrimp and calamari. The calamari was amazing. So soft, it almost melted in my mouth. Everything was cooked so perfectly. It was delicious. For dessert, T had sweet white corn grits with (homemade) Grand Marnier ice cream and a sort of compote. It was yummy! I had mint ice cream profiteroles with bitter chocolate sauce. (It's ice cream in a cream puff shell.) Oh, and we had dessert wine. It was amazing! I was reasonably intoxicated. I tried to not be too giddy. The whole meal was wonderful. It was almost like taking a mini-vacation (and almost as expensive). But it was worth it. It was a nice change of pace.

Look, a whole post w/o talk of IF/bt/etc. Not bad....

1 comment:

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am so glad that you had a wonderful birthday! The weather sucks this weekend huh?