Tuesday, May 16, 2006

goldfish, sugar wafers and boredom

So, AF is here and instead of eating my nutritious low-fat yogurt and organic navel orange I brought for breakfast, I ate cheddar cheese goldrish and a pack of sugar wafers. Hurray for hormones! Hey Mary Ellen, looks like we will be cycle buddies. My luteal phase looked a little short to me this month, but maybe I'm trying to find things to be wrong. I was looking at my BBT charts last night and this month it was definitely a bit more difficult to figure out when exactly I ovulated. I'm posturing that I ovulated twice this month making it look like a short luteal phase when it actually wasn't. But who knows. Either way, with the hormones and the poor eating habits comes much moodiness.

I'm currently launching venom at my job. I think I need a new one. I have been shopping around and applying to jobs here and there. Nothing in any serious way. But I just feel like I'm not qualified to do anything, despite the fact that I have a graduate degree and I've done all sorts of things. I refuse to be a glorified secretary, but I feel like I'm pretty open to things. I see different kinds of jobs that I might be good at, but I don't see how I could get my foot in the door. I don't know what I want to do. I also don't know if it's a good idea to switch jobs right now considering I'm trying to get pregnant. I just feel so stuck.

It has occurred to me that I haven't yet told my family of our decision to put of IVF for at least 6 months. Since we have that appointment coming up on Thursday, I suppose it would make sense to only inform them of this after the appointment. But I thought about that yesterday for some reason. Speaking of my family, my parents did, in fact, make it back to Boston from Las Vegas despite all of the rain here.

In boredom news, Mike 93.7 is now coming in on the radio in my office (with some tweaking of the antenna) and now I don't have to listen to the same adult contemporary music over and over again like I have been. I'm relieved about that one. I also am working on renewing one of my studies with the Institutional Review Board. That shouldn't take long. Earlier today, I was asked to email the current consent form for one of my studies to our coordinating center at the Cleveland Clinic. At my hospital, our entire IRB process is online. We don't use paper. So I submit everything online, it gets approved online, and then I can print stuff out. You would think that because everything is done online that it would be easy to get an electronic copy of the consent form. But of course it isn't. I had to call the IRB. They had to print out the consent form and then scan it and email it to me. HOW DUMB IS THAT?!? That is the dumbest thing ever. EVER! Really, how could that be designed so poorly?!? Sheesh!!

Let's see, what other totally boring things are happening? One of my danios in our upstairs tank has the ich. So I'm giving it the blue medicine to make them better. It doesn't seem to be working too well at present moment. I may have to do a water change and try a different medicine. We'll see.

Our basement seems to be drying out, slowly. I am really appreciating the fact that we live nearly on the top of a Very Big Hill. Our basement didn't get that wet. I haven't looked at the attic again lately.

Alanis Morisette just came on the radio. T always turns up the radio when this song comes on. He loves Angry Chick Rock. That makes me smile. I love T. T rules. Dogma was on TV this weekend. Alanis Morisette plays God. I learned from IMDB that God was supposed to be played by Holly Hunter. I enjoyed Dogma. I love quirky stories about Judeo-Christian deities and spirituality. Way to be Kevin Smith. If you also enjoy quirky stories about spirituality may I recommend reading Orson Scott Card, Octavia Butler or the "Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman. Those are the three that come to my head at present moment. I'm sure there are many more. Please recommend some to me if that's what floats your boat.

I suppose the time has come for me to stop and do a little more work and then eat some lunch. Perhaps I can resist the call of the vending machine for the rest of the day.

No comments: