Friday, August 24, 2007

It's official

As expected, the blood test came back negative. I just can't believe this is my life. How much crap is a person expected to go through?

We're going to a family get together tomorrow, and I'm really dreading it. I have absolutely nothing 'surface' to talk to anybody about.

So, Rachel. How's work?
I quit my job.
Do you have something else lined up?
No.
So, do you think about starting a family?
Yup. We hope to someday.
[Awkward silence.]

Yay! Won't it be fun?

I don't know what else to do but plan for another IUI. I have a phone call scheduled with my RE on Wednesday. My only coping mechanism is to keep going forward. But I'm starting to feel like I am insane. I keep doing the same thing over and over and each time, I expect a different result. How much of my sanity do I have to sacrifice?

I know it's realistic to expect one of our dIUIs to work. Often, the first one doesn't work. I just feel like I've paid my dues and then some. I see nearly everyone around me getting pregnant and moving forward. There are a few who have pursued a different avenue, but I still feel like I'm doing the same things I was doing before, whereas they have been able to move forward with something else. The people I started blogging with are generally no longer undergoing treatment. They've moved on to other things: usually pregnancy, but some have moved to adoption or to living w/o children. I feel completely left behind.

I'm trying to come up with other options for us, but I just don't see what they are right now. I know I could never, ever opt to live w/o children. I totally understand other people's choice to do this. I know and respect someone who made that choice after many failed treatments. I just know that I want children.

I keep thinking about adoption, but it scares me mostly because it takes so long, and because you usually adopt an older child. I know it is our back up, and if it is I constantly wonder if we should start some paperwork now. I mean, if we're going to have to wait 2 or 3 years, why not start now? But I just haven't wrapped my mind around it that much. I hear so much about the legal status of international adoption changing so much, and they're putting health restrictions on prospective parents that I'm not sure we would pass. I'm uncomfortable at the idea of a home inspection and the intrusive questions. I mean, if the DS doesn't work, we will definitely take this route, but it hasn't been in my mind much.

In the end, I just want this to be over. I am mentally exhausted by this roller coaster. I have suffered enough. My husband is worried about my mental health, and frankly I'm worried for myself too. I just want to not think about any of this for a while.

But taking a break is just not an option for me right now. I can't do it. I have to keep moving forward and trying and trying.

Someday, maybe it will be me who's moving forward. And the only way to get there is by trying.

23 comments:

ultimatejourney said...

Oh Rachel, I'm so very sad for you. I really think DI will work out, but I know how little consolation that is when you're in the throes of waiting.

Please let me know if there's anything at all I can do, even if it's something random like having you teach me how to knit for an hour or two. (I know the basics, but I'm sure you've got lots of good tricks up your sleeve that are beyond my abilities.)

Big hugs to both you and T.

Micah's Mommy and Daddy said...

Rachel, I am sorry to hear how frustrated you are right now. Family events can be so hard especially when they have no idea what is going on in your life. Family has a way of asking all the wrong questions at the worst times. I am happy to hear you are going to keep trying because I know it will all work out and you will be moving forward like you deserve!

Delenn said...

I am so sorry. I understand your need to keep moving forward. That is always how I like to deal with things...no matter what, I have a plan, right!?!

All one can do is move forward and keep trying (even if its the same brick wall, you are not always the same person).

As for the event, if you can, maybe you can get a pass on it?

If you ever need anything, let me know.

JJ said...

My heart aches for you all...I know the pain of uncertainty is so daunting...its hard to wrap your head/feelings around the next step. But I have no doubt you will wrap your mind around a plan, and keep pushing forward. Im right here to hold your hand the whole way...

Somewhat Ordinary said...

I am so sorry, Rachel. Like ultimatejourney, I also think that DI will work for you, but I know how hard this must be for you. I'll be thinking of you and if you need anything I'm always a good ear!

Samantha said...

I'm so sorry about the results. I hope you can find a little time for yourself without feeling overwhelmed a family gathering. Take care, and I wish this could be easier.

Erin said...

Oh I'm so sorry. I will be sending you good vibes for your family vacation. I'm in pretty much the same boat (quit job, no new job, middle of unlikely IVF cycle) and we've got friends coming into town. I'm really not looking forward to chit-chatting.

Good luck moving forward. I totally admire your resolve and will be with you right along the way.

Carey said...

Sorry about this cycle not working. I know that frustration all too well and it's hard to swallow sometimes.

Have you spoke with your doctor about being more aggressive on your dIUI cycles? Maybe adding some meds to the mix will up your chances and get you off of this crappy IF rollercoaster.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry Rachel. You have every right to be frustrated; its been a tough ride on the IF train for you :( In a way though, its like you are starting the TTC journey from the beginning again, expect this time with donor sperm. You were able to get PG three times that way. You're history already shows that you are fertile. Its just the other 'ingredient' didn't work out. Anyways, maybe these are not the right words and I hope I am not upsetting you. My basic point is to say to please not give up hope. I know its cliche to say that, but I just really have a gut feeling that this will work out for you. Hugs to you and again, I'm so sorry. I really hope that you are in next months BFP group.

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry about your BFN. I wish I could give you a big hug but I hope you can settle for some virtual X's and O's.

All my love,
Kristen

Knock Me Up said...

Oh Rachael, I am so very sorry. I don't think you are insane only stuggling with infertility the way we all do...by doing whatever we can over and over if necessary. Hang in there.

Almamay said...

Can totally relate to your post. It completely sucks when people that you meet in the internet IF world (it took me 11 years to find the IF internet community but don't mind me, I'm quite stupid) and everybody is moving on. I've got IF friends moving on to their third child the greedy b*st*rds! Hang in there, I'm assured it is worth it.

p.s. Apparently you are allowed to punch family members for stupidity. Ok, only joking. I don't condone violence but it can be fun fantisising about.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, Rachel.

I have watched my infertile friends get pregnant and have babies and I am still waiting.

I am not afraid of adopting a baby, but the process terrifies me. The thought of a homestudy is more intimidating than an egg retrieval to me. I want this to be over, too. I want to have my family. This post is kind of what is running around in my head right now.

I hope you survive tomorrow ok.

Natalie said...

I am so sorry. :( You are not doing the same thing again though... dIUI is a new avenue, and I really do think it's going to work for you. I have such hopes for you Rachel. I wish this unhappy phase will pass quickly and move you onto better things.

Mony said...

Is it selfish of me to feel relieved that you won't be taking a break?
Rachel, I admire you immensely. You have this bull by the horns...I know you aren't letting go.
Hang on...hang on & on.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I am so very sorry.
We are seven years in and you have explained our feelings to a tee. Mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting and with no end in sight. It makes for a very unstable way to live and it is not fair. We started the international adoption process in January of 2006 and we do not expect our referral for a child until early 2010 (which is why we continue with fertility treatments).
Adoption is not for the faint of heart and it is understandable that you tread that water gently.
Thinking about you.

Sunny said...

I am so sorry.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your negative. I know that feeling of having to go on, to "make" it through, to get through the day.

I hope that the next dIUI will turn out better - positive that it. You are very strong!

Kami said...

I'm sorry. It is tough to keep getting kicked back to the end of the line. I also wonder why our "dues" are so much higher than other peoples. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Rachel.

Everything you said. Word for word. I'm still in the pits slogging it out too and you're right, you just get tired of it all as everyone else has moved on you are still in this hell.

I'm thinking of you.

Erica

Stepping Over the Junk said...

this must be very difficult. I think we all as women and wives have a dream of conceiving and having our own biological children...a very close friend of mine is facing what you are facing and has somehow been able to let go of the intense need to have a biological child. Once letting go of that, after so much heartache and struggle, she has opened up some amazing opportunities to adopt a child...not only that but it has helped her find a new path in her life professionally too, which is amazing. Best to you and wish you peace.

Drowned Girl said...

I'm so sorry. I hope you can regroup and find the energy to struggle on.

xx

Becks said...

I am so sorry Rachel. I think you are right you keep on trying...keep fighting, we're right here for you.