Friday, March 30, 2007

she's here

Well, af has arrived.

I want to thank everyone for their supportive comments. I appreciate it.

We are doing okay. I won't say good, but we are living our daily lives. We are both sad, especially T, but I have mostly been pissed. I'm pissed because I feel like this cycle was a waste. We have three precious tries to have a biological child, and one of them was wasted. My estrogen level at my first blood test was somewhat low. I knew the whole time that it wasn't going to be a successful cycle. Why didn't they up my meds? I know OHSS is a real risk, and they gave me the dose they did to avoid it, but it clearly wasn't happening for me. What would have been the hurt in upping my dose just a little? I was being monitored every 48 hours. My RE always talks about the next time, about how we have plenty of time, etc. To him this was a "learning" cycle, I think. But to us, it's one less try. He thinks we'll do more tries after these three. Well, I know of 2 people with balanced translocations in my state who were not awarded coverage by their insurance recently (even though coverage is mandated in my state) and we will not apply for more tries -- at least not right away. We will pursue another route first. So one of our precious tries is gone, and I'm kind of angry about it.

So we're supposed to have a follow up appointment with the RE post-failure. Of course he's away until April 18, so we have an appointment with the nurse practitioner. I will demand a follow up phone conversation with the RE himself. Since I started spotting today, I called my PGD coordinator, as I am supposed to. There is exactly ZERO information about my next cycle in my chart! Hurray! She doesn't even really know if I'm supposed to even start the pill for my next cycle. The RE said I should start at my next period after the egg retrieval (since we knew it would fail even then), so I feel confident it is part of my protocol. But since the good doctor (ha) is away, we may be delayed a week or so until I have an actual protocol in my chart. Since we know my protocol will be different, we have no choice but to wait for Dr. Genius's guidance.

Yes, you do note a hint of sarcasm. It's just annoying that our own instincts about our bodies do not trump the "facts" of medicine. Modern medicine is great, but it does have its limitations. My mother asked if we should go see a different doctor -- but that would entail getting a new PGD probe made and getting a new referral -- there is no way this is happening. My only question is if both of these cycles fail (note I did say if) then do we go to him for the donor iuis or do we go somewhere else. But we'll cross that bridge if and when we get there.

So we're surviving. My job has been crappy lately, and that isn't helping much. T's work has been insanely busy, so that's not too great either. We both need a nice vacation -- our last one was related to his work and I miscarried while we were away -- so it wasn't the most relaxing vacation ever. But it's just not happening at this time.

So thanks for your supportive comments. I'm still not feeling super positive (I'm sure you got that idea) but I'm going to work and things are moving forward. AF is here --early, I know, but my PGD coordinator says that can happen when you suddenly stop all meds. I will start the pill tomorrow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Rachel, this is always the hardest part of trying. Wishing you more success next round, whenever you get to it.

Take care.

Sarah said...

that sucks, i would be totally pissed at the dr not being available until april 18 too, because the main thing you need to know right now is what does he plan to do differently next time, and are his answers something you're comfortable with. i'm sorry you have to wait, and wish you could have that vacation!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am so sorry Rachel. It's not fair that you have to wait and you don't know what is going on with your next cycle. Hopefully this time they will be more aggressive. Hang in there. Sending you a hug.

Serenity said...

As someone who is doing most likely her last cycle right now because of a lack of insurance coverage, I understand what you're saying.

However. They now know that they have to get closer to overstimming you on IVF #2. And if they won't be more aggressive... I would suggest that you think about moving to a clinic that WILL be aggressive...

Mary Ellen and Steve are in the same boat as you - I think she went to a clinic where they specialize in PGD and are willing to be more aggressive with the FHS dose.

*hug* I am so freaking sorry, Rachel. This totally sucks.

Knock Me Up said...

This really does suck. They should have upped your dosage. I would be angry and pissed off too if I were in the same shoes. The doctor's really don't understand that there is a finite number of times a person can go through this b/c of money/insurance not to mention the emotional toll it takes on us. They really think we'll just try again and again -- my last doctor acted the same way. I left his clinic for many reasons and that was one of them. Hang in there. You will begin again and you will insist on higer dosage of stims even if that means they have to monitor you more closely even than every 48 hours.
I'll be thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

I hope she doesn't stay long.

When you do get to talk to your doctor, maybe you can discuss a different drug for your protocol that may get more eggs out of you.

Portia P said...

I'm so sorry Rachel.

This is the bit that makes treatment so hard. The rest of it is copable with. This floors you.

Glad you're trying again so soon though.

xx