Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Not so bad

With the help of my friend and an email to the TA of the class, I have officially completed my homework. I cannot tell you what a relief that is. I am completely indebted to my friend without whom this completion of homework would not be possible. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now all I have left is one more homework and the final. Oy.

So, I got a call from the genetic counselor. She sent T's genetic information to a doctor in New York who calculates reproductive risk for patients with balanced translocation. Dr. Trunca calculated that if we got pregnant the old-fashioned way, each time I got pregnant I would carry a 50% risk of having a miscarriage. If I didn't miscarry, the chances of us having a baby with a chromosomal abnormality would be 2-10% (Incidentally, these numbers are all completely related to all the crap I'm complaining about learning in class.)

All things considered, I'm not freaking out about this news. T and I were preparing for the worst, and we were expecting a number upwards of an 80% chance of miscarrying. So 50%, though not something to do a dance over, is a respectable number. It gives a chance for IVF with PGD to work. It makes it seem worth trying. But now we have to wait until May 18th for our appointment with the IVF clinic to get more answers.

Finishing my homework and getting these numbers have considerably reduced my stress for the time being. Thank god, because poor T had to deal with miserable me all the time.

I can actually cook dinner tonight! Yum! I think we're going to have Thai coconut chicken with string beans and bamboo shoots. And the Red Sox are playing the Cleveland Indians, so we can eat, watch the game, and mimic some sort of normalcy for the evening.

No comments: