Monday, December 01, 2008

One holiday down...

Got through the holiday okay. Nothing too bad. My extended family has become slightly difficult to deal with, but in general it was fine. I did get to do that paint your own clay thing with my nieces. One of them, H (age 9), saw how excited I was to be there and do the painting and she said to me, "If you adopt a girl you'll take her to places like this all the time." I thought that was cute and very interesting -- the kids definitely think about us and kids and the adoption. I was a little surprised, but it was a nice thing to hear.

T and I also drove up to Portland, ME to see a college friend of mine. The weather was nice and it was great to see her and she and T get along really well as they are both political junkies. We got to walk around and have some great beer and coffee. It was nice.

Now it's back to work and it should be a pretty busy month for me. Tonight we are meeting someone who is also a waiting parent -- she is doing international adoption as a SMC and is just looking for some compatriots. We'll have a meal and share angst.

Got a hard copy of our home study today. There were some tiny changes to make, but overall it was a really nice document. It made us sound like a good couple and good potential parents. It also made me feel like we are the way we think we are. I guess that's good, right?

So, we have a few more weeks of Xmas crap. (Sorry to those of you who love the holiday season. I've never been much for the whole Xmas/Holiday thing.) Then it will be a new year and we'll have a new president and I won't be a taxi driver any more and I will start a new position in my company.

I am looking forward to the change toward the new year.

3 comments:

E said...

Glad you made it through the holiday and had a nice time away. It's always good to find real-life "compatriots" in the adoption world. I'm not usually thrilled with the holiday season either...it's so kid-oriented and hard to get into when you have none. Luckily (or unluckily?) for me, we're moving the weekend before Christmas, so we'll have a big distraction. Hang in there for the new year!

Sue said...

Change is good indeed. I hope 2009 is the beginning of many wonderful things for you.

beagle said...

You can take my WIHTH theme if you like. I still find them frustrating (though I hate to admit it now.) Everyone goes a little crazy these last two months of the year!

Wishing you a VERY Happy New Year!!