Friday, February 04, 2011

I want somebody to tell me what to do

I keep feeling like I'm making a terrible mistake. I feel like B is getting better with time, and aside from the back stairs issue (which will never be resolved unless we redo the back stairs) that I could be making a bigger deal of this than it really is.

B is getting used to not having two walks every day. And when all this snow melts, I'll be able to take him out in the afternoon more often. And the back yard will have more room for him to run around.

He's still not used to having other people in the house, and he doesn't know how to remove himself from the chaos. I am still not sure how I will manage keeping H away from him when there's a newborn that needs attention. I do fear disaster and that is the main reason I'm planning on him living elsewhere. I think Bdog would do better in a house without small children.

But maybe I should make this work.

My fear is that I will try and fail and we'll have to rehome him later, which will be much, much worse for Bdog.

I'm trying to convince myself that what I'm doing is in Bdog's best interest, but all I feel is selfish.

I want somebody else to tell me what I should do.


serenity said...

Greyhounds are a notoriously tough breed to own - they're really high maintenance, and as my friend L would say - complete scaredy cats. :) It's really hard if he's scared of kids - not only not good for you, but not good for him.

It's so hard to KNOW what to do. But I think if you're looking at what's best for Bdog, you'll be making the right choice. Finding a new home for him doesn't mean you've failed or have shirked responsibility. It's because you know and love your dog and want what's best for HIM, you know? That's being RESPONSIBLE.

Not sure if it helps. But I'm reaching out to my friend L today and will see what she says.



E said...

I understand your dilemma, however if you feel children aren't safe around Bdog then maybe he would be better off in another home with no children?

Or maybe you could give him his own area where the children can't go?

I had an old big lab once and he had bad hips and couldn't make it up stairs. I ended up making him outside dog, and I always felt guilty about it.

Yo-yo Mama said...

If there's an ounce of doubt about the safety of a child around Bdog, then yes, he does need to be rehomed.

It's kind of like dating the bad boy; hoping to turn him around and feeling regret when instead of him changing for us, we change for him.

Bdog wants to be a good puppy, but he can't in your home. That's not his fault and it's not yours. There's a perfect home for him out there. Be a part of that experience for him.

Natalie said...

I'm sorry there are no answers. :( I have similar fears about one of our dogs but unfortunately (or fortunately?) there are no other options for him so he stays with us until the end, whatever the end may be. I agree with you that rehoming now instead of later would be better on him, but I completely understand your feelings of wanting to keep trying. It's hard. I'm sorry I can't give you a clear answer. :(

Scrappy_Lady said...

I'm sorry you have to make these decisions. Definitely not fun.

I wonder if Bdog is happy. You've mentioned how he doesn't like the activity of the house, and doesn't care for small children, or the stairs. Maybe he'd be happier finding somewhere else.

I'm just trying to think of it from his side of things, what he'd want.

((hugs)) to you.

Lane said...

Since you asked :)
I think you should try to find the dog a new home. I think it is natural to feel guilty, and it is a serious commitment you made which is why you want to make it work. But you know you have fears about his ability to be around young children or babies, and you just can't take that chance. That's my 2 cents.

Ellie's Mom said...

If you don't feel your child is safe around the dog, there is no question. It's hard, but it is the right choice

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have daily discussions about whether or not to find our dog a new home. It's such a difficult decision.

ultimatejourney said...

I wish I knew what you should do. But I know you are not selfish. Selfish is the previous owner of my calico, who gave her (and another cat) up to move to an apartment that didn't accept pets. You are doing the best you can with a difficult situation. Thinking of you and hoping you're making some sense of the options.