Saturday, March 13, 2010

Better

After little Henry got over his stomach bug, I caught it. NOT FUN. Luckily T stayed home from work on Friday to take care of Henry because I was completely bedridden and couldn't do anything. We're predicting that T will come down with the symptoms shortly. I'm not looking forward to it as it's a nasty, nasty bug and T is a terrible sick.

We think our boy cat is sick, too. :( I'm bringing him to the vet on Tuesday. I hope it's just an infection or something, but as he is 12+ years old, I'm nervous. I'm not sure what will happen to T if we lose boy cat too.

I'm sort of amazed, though not completely, at the havoc I have wreaked by talking about Attachment Parenting. I am sorry if I offended anyone by my post, though I won't take any of the sentiments back. The outfall totally reinforces to me how problematic it is to label parenting strategies. Talking about how to parent is apparently as divisive as religion or politics. I didn't realize this, I suppose, though perhaps I was being naive. Most of my frustration came from an old high school friend on the evil FB who kept posting links about it who I finally just hid so I didn't have to see them any more.

The truth is, there are some things that I do that could be considered part of AP, I suppose. I do have an Erg0 carrier that I use all the time. I guess like I said before, I just don't like labels. And I don't like people assuming what I think about things before asking me.

Anyway, I'm not going to talk about it anymore. We're all just doing the best we can.

It's supposed to rain all weekend and I feel like I haven't left the house in DAYS. It's kind of sucky.

Henry can now put his feet in his mouth and is all about untying or taking off his shoes. He's very interested in feet. He's also interested in the tags on things. He'll take a toy or stuffed animal and find the small tag that's on it and that is what he wants to chew on.

Lunchtime for Henry.

1 comment:

AmyE said...

I just want to clarify something. I hope it is useful, and I really mean it from a good place. I wrote you about being offended, but I have no problem discussing or even debating different parenting choices and strategies. I belong to a support group of moms who have had multiple pregnancy losses, and as we have all become moms, WOW! we make very different choices and sometimes disagree, albeit with lots of love. I find our differences and disagreements useful because they make me really reflect on my choices. I've also learned that every family needs to do what is best for them. But THAT is what I felt was missing from your post -- tolerance and some openness. You wrote, "I hate the attachment parenting philosophy." Ouch. "Hate" is such a strong word. I don't think that shutting down conversation is the answer. More tolerance, mutual respect, and kindness and a "live and let live" approach is. We are all doing the best we can. No one has the right answers, and no one wants what they do with the child they love so dearly to be dismissed with hatred and anger. That's all I was trying to say.

Just wanted to clarify and also to say that I think that these conversations can be useful if approached differently. Obviously I'm still here reading. :)