Monday, May 25, 2009

upstairs

B-dog can officially go up and down the stairs by himself. It's still quite awkward, but he can do it.

Had someone over the house today and he growled a little at her when she tried to give him treats or talk to him. Didn't like that much. He was in his bed, so at first I thought it was a bed thing but when he got up off his bed and she tried, he still growled.

This surprised me since I can interrupt him from eating without a problem and can sit in his bed space without any reaction.

I need to get him to training classes ASAP it seems. I need to know how to curb this as I want E&R to come over with little S to meet B-dog. But I don't want to do that if B-dog is growling at people he doesn't know.

I've felt so optimistic because B-dog has been so docile with us that when we suddenly bring a baby back with us it shouldn't be a problem, and now my nervousness has increased.

Man, I knew I was an over worrier before, but I have gone out of control with the worrying lately. I always thought I'd be okay with a baby, but now I'm starting to think that I'm going to make myself crazy when something finally happens.

I'm thinking of going to the store and picking up some flowers and playing in the garden.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

He's starting to feel like this is his home... and dogs can be territorial. It is definitely wise to nip it in the bud now and teach him how to appropriately behave around humans. It is VERY good that he lets you interrupt his eating and be in his space without issue... IMO that would be much more of a concern than growling at strangers, two separate issues there. And when YOU bring home a child it is different as to adult strangers coming into his home. B-dog will quickly learn that the child part of your pack.

MtnGirl said...

I have an 8 week old cocker who will let me mess with his ears and paws, take his food, cover his food, etc. BUT growls when I pick him up (especially in the middle of his playing).....I hope this doesn't mean he's going to be aggressive?!

Sue said...

Dogs tend to behave pretty well when they first join a new household, then their true personality comes out more once they become comfortable. Training is great and you should start it as soon as possible. If it makes you feel any better, one of my dogs is completely neurotic and doesn't like children at all. When we brought our new baby home this week, even our crazy dog accepted the baby and we haven't had a single problem.